Friday, June 18, 2010

So I learned to paint toenails, no big deal

So I haven’t blogged in two weeks… my bad. So to give everyone a heads-up on what my life has been like I will try to condense it.

I have: left home, arrived at Mission Lazarus, driven to surrounding cities to meet and greet people, milked a cow, scooped some poop, cleaned some pigs, fed a horse, gathered some chicken eggs, sorted 7,000 peppers, filled bags with 100lbs. of beans, downloaded books, filled bags full of coffee, watched it rain for 4 days straight, went horse back riding, floated down a river, got leeches stuck on me, and have been viciously attacked by mosquitoes. Life is good.

But more importantly, I have seen the face of God. Every time I turn it seems like I am captured by another side of God. Whether it’s by watching the clouds dance upon the mountains or by making a child laugh at my lack of Spanish skills. Our God is alive and he is good.

One of the fist days we were here we went to a charla (a women talk). I stood there in the back and listened as best I could to Rebecca inform and challenge these women. So I might have been getting a little crunk… no big deal. Anyways, after the talk we the interns were instructed to paint the women’s nails. Now I realize no one here knows me, but let me say this, I don’t even paint my own nails much less someone elses. I was a little intimidated. Well I finally got the guts to grab some polish and proceed to paint these lovely ladies nails. Then I get to this one woman. She looks at her fingers nails, says “no” and points to her feet. I thought to myself, “oh Lord, I’m going to pain this woman’s toenails”. I sit down and with shaking hands began to paint her toe nails. In that moment I realized something, if my savior can wash someone’s feet, surely I can paint them. In that moment of clarity it all became clear, in that moment of clarity life made sense, in that moment of clarity I found God. If I had to go home after that day, it would have been a summer worth living for.

Well I believe that is all for today. Sorry for being lengthy, but I figured I needed to make up for my lack of writing last week.

wsl

Mallory K. Kornegay

No comments:

Post a Comment