Tuesday, June 29, 2010

the reason why.

I find my words failing me today. I have thought for some time how I was going to start this little update and I can never seem to find the right words or the right train of thought to follow. So, I will simply write what comes out and allow that to be enough.

When I think back on the past few weeks I can’t help but smile. What a life. I spend one day helping kids with their horse therapy time and then the next day I’m mixing cement to help finish a roof. My clothes are now covered by dried concrete, my face is burnt, my arms are cut and bruised, but the only thing that gets me going are the faces.

The other day all the girls went to help give a charla aka a woman’s talk. I was fortunate enough to help out by holding up posters so Rebecca could point and demonstrate what she was talking about. Now granted, it’s sometimes funny because a part of me never left my five year old days, but there was another part that was absolutely haunted.

I saw every woman’s face. Every expression. Every smile and every hint of pain. I stood there holding up a poster of some human biology yet I was witnessing something far greater. It seems to happen from time to time, I will be working on some project and then I will just look at the people around me, and be changed. It so easy, too easy to get lost in the job of the day. Mix cement, lift buckets, lay bricks, count beans, milk cows, I get so wrapped in those job that the true purpose of performing all those actions gets pushed away.

It has been and always will be about the people. Why do I mix cement? To build a house for a family. Why do I count beans? To help feed a family. Why do I milk a cow? To help provide milk for children. The action without this purpose is absolutely meaningless.

So I will gladly hold a poster, but the purpose behind is worthy of my ability. I will gladly chase goats around, or wash pigs or even scoop up some poop because the purpose behind it all is worth more than me.

wsl,

Mallory K. Kornegay

No comments:

Post a Comment