Friday, June 18, 2010

Beans and Bricks

As always life here is an adventure. Just when I think I’m starting to understand the flow of life here, something new and surprising arrives and I once again find myself confused. It’s easy to get lost in the desperation that is so evident in this place. However, I have come to rely on two things here. Reguardless of whatever goes on I will always have beans and bricks.

You see I have been put with agriculture and groups for the past week which I absolutely love. I may not speak spanish, I may not play football that well, but I can lift bricks and I can count beans. It may seem silly, it may even seem a waste, but with every part of my heart I love it, and not because of any of the reasons you may think.

I love doing all that work because when I look at a bag of beans or a stack of bricks I don’t just see that. I see hope. I see people no longer hungry and children growing. I see houses built and families safe and warm. I see a better future than this world has allowed. I see more than just beans and bricks, I find my hope in those beans and bricks because God works through them.

So that has been my past week and if that were to be how the rest of my time here was spent, that would be enough for me.

wsl,

Mallory K. Kornegay

No comments:

Post a Comment